Friday, April 5, 2013

it's all about the roots

In my World Religions class, we're studying Judaism at the moment, and today I came across this passage from the Talmud that I really love:
"When our learning exceeds our deeds we are like trees whose branches are many but whose roots are few: the wind comes and uproots them... But when our deeds exceed our learning we are like trees whose branches are few but whose roots are many, so that even if all the winds of the world were to come and blow against them, they would be unable to move them."
The reason I like it so much is because it's another gentle reminder for myself that without the doing of "deeds" that are in alignment with my ideals, all the head knowledge that I may have is useless. Maybe useless is too strong a word, because having a mind full of concepts that provide peace and comfort are better than the internal chatter of a nightmare, but still...regardless of how fervently I might believe the things I choose, and like, to believe, the living of one's ideals is where personal power comes from.  Choosing to embody what you know is true for yourself - the "learned" - is what makes our "roots" strengthen and is what increases our capacity for being an expression of Greatness. It's our spiritual practice - the wisdom in action - that keeps us grounded. Not the pretty concepts, not a collection of branches - but the doing, the roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment