Friday, January 11, 2013

said one friend to another

"It ultimately doesn't matter what they think, even your closest, dearest ones. For the simple fact you have no control over that whatsoever. People think things, fear things, do things, want things, say things - all whether we like it or not. We have absolutely no control over the world outside us - have you noticed? That's why before I do something for a friend or ask someone for something, I make sure that I'm prepared to be let down or to have my action or invitation be unappreciated, unnoticed, or rejected before I do whatever it is. It helps me see if I'm coming from a place of sincerity or just trying to buy myself some love. If it isn't true for me, going through with it is risking my peace when or if they don't reciprocate. If your impulse is to give kindness, give it. If it's honest for you, always go with that, always. Just don't expect people to love you for it. Don't expect them to notice or even care. You love you for it. For following that impulse, for allowing that act of grace to come through you freely, for giving what you were honestly inspired to give. Then, should it happen to come, the other person's good opinion of you is just icing on the cake. And if they don't recognize how awesome you are, well, at least you still have you - a kind, honest person that lives their integrity, one that does their best to be a friend."

No comments:

Post a Comment