Wednesday, November 9, 2011

words about words & the writing & reading of them

My English composition class began this week, and so far, I'm loving the hell out of it. I love the questions I'm being asked to ponder and discuss. Some thoughts on writing (mine, in particular):

What it all boils down to, is the notion that the writing process is a personal ritual. Duane Alan Hahn said, "I write to teach myself what I already know." The rationale of this quote is something I can personally attest to. How this blog serves me, is that it allows me to reflect on the life experiences I go through, viewed from a "spiritual" perspective - because finding meaning in everyday life is something I naturally do, born a "spiritual seeker." So as I'm writing my posts, I'm writing what I already know about life and the Universe, as I've come to see it through books, videos, and experience. And as I test and ponder my philosophies against what I've actually lived, I'm making sense of them, explaining them, and celebrating all of it as my own personal truth.

From "The Artist's Way," by Julia Cameron, I took away in words what I intuitively sensed as true beforehand: that writing what comes naturally from our hearts and minds is actually a process of channeling our "Higher Self," or God, or whatever one chooses to call It. And that's why I appreciate Mr. Wally Lamb's quote so much: "Write the story for yourself, investigate what your truths are, and then have faith in it, and let the audience that's meant to find it, find it."

Knowing that the ideas flowing through a person are being given to them by some higher source, makes the process incredibly special. And so writing dishonestly or with some other motivation in mind, such as publishing, won't be nearly as joyful or success-bringing as relying on, and focusing on, what comes naturally channeled through you. My little blog is not brilliant. It's not "cool" or "socially relevant" - but it's apropos of me. It stirs and enlivens me - and if I'm lucky, someone will come across it and get something from it. But that would be secondary. Writing what's true for you is the goal, I think. And as the God of your understanding brings to you those words, that same Intelligence will bring to that material those who will benefit from reading it. It's all about writing what's true for you and letting the fruits of that process take care of themselves. Our only responsibility, as writers, is to remain faithful to our Truth - and to write, period.

4 comments:

  1. I am delighted at the direction your life has taken, with school now. I want to hear more about it.

    I want you to know that your blog happens to be among my favorite on the internet. Being a natural seeker myself, my heart beats similiarly to yours so I see myself a lot in what you write.

    I think Wally Lamb is right, our writing will find the audience it is meant to find. My current blog doesn't have the audience my first one did, but that's okay. I don't have much of an internal dialogue so often I literally don't know what I think unless it comes out of my mouth or through my fingertips onto keys. So the current blog helps me process my values, and keep accountable to them. I also like leaving a record of those things behind for after I'm gone. My ego likes that part. Was it Thomas Moore who said if we give the ego tiny bits of what it wants now and then it won't take over our entire lives - that it's when we deny its right to anything that ego goes into full on high-jack mode(paraphrasing)?

    I suppose I could try to write one of those smart, sassy, funny, TMI blogs people seem to like in mass, but that is not me. My heart does not call me to write those. I love reading those though and admiring the gifted senses of humor people have. They awe me.

    I also like what you pointed out about how writing with other motivations, like publishing, changes things. I definitely don't want to ever blog for money for that reason. I don't want to ever HAVE to blog. I do have ads up but 100% of any profits would go to a favorite cause. Since I have a passion for fundraising in real life, it made sense to use some of that sidebar space for that too.

    I think it is good to reflect on why we write, as you have here. It helps maintain focus. That's why I have a blog mission statement in my About Me tab. I read it a few times a week to keep why I blog front and center in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I delight at your delight, Suzanne. Seriously. It makes me happy to know I've got a kindred in you, one whose heart beats like mine.

    Your new blog has just been born. So just keep doing what you're doing, and using it as your heart tells you. Then whether the readers come or not, you'll still be in line with the only one that matters.

    I think it's wise of you to keep that mission statement in mind. Keeping our best intentions in view will keep us real.

    Thanks for the love, my friend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so enjoyed this post and Suzanne's comment as well...I have concluded that a blog is a full-blown relationship with oneself, and that idea of relationship cannot be overemphasized! It reminds me of the same way I "saw" and felt the emergence of people's "higher Selves" in the dream groups I used to have...One knew the dream was a bridge between the everyday self and this "higher Self" who seemed the author of the dream and who delighted in its unravelling by all hands in the circle! So I do think as we write, we are channelling - and not just our Higher Self, but all the parts of ourselves...Some get to see the "outside" and connect with it, and some parts long dormant come alive...Other parts of the self may find themselves challenged - to respond, to explain, or perhaps to share.

    It is hard to explain but we intrepid bloggers know, as we go through changes and stops and starts, new blogs, revised blogs, etc! Cheers, and here's to us all! Thanks for your very timely and much appreciated post, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, it was so fun and nice to see a comment from you! I love the idea of it coming not only from the Higher Self, but "all the parts of ourselves." I can feel that it's true. In their own ways and at their own time, and for their different purposes, they've each got something to say - like you, Suzanne, and me. Yes, cheers to us all!

    ReplyDelete