Tuesday, August 9, 2011

unquestionable purpose

I've been reading a book on Holybooks.com - great, great site! - by Robert Wolfe, called "Living Nonduality." It's an awesome collection of thoughts and pointers geared towards (if that can be said) the recognition of our nondual existence (if that can be said). It's a fascinating read, as I find all Advaita Vedanta material to be. There are so many sections of the book that I find illuminating. But there is one passage in particular, titled "Unquestionable Purpose," that personally made a lot of sense to me and has brought some solace.

I think it's a little too long to quote, but here's the general line of questioning and I'll speak in first person:

If there is indeed a "purpose to my life," wouldn't it follow that it would be part of a larger plan that was connected with everyone else's "purposes?" And if that's the case, wouldn't it follow that there would have to be something Greater than us that put forth the plan? And wouldn't that something Greater need to know at all times what is going on with every single aspect of the plan - and wouldn't this plan need to involve the entire Universe, considering that as humans we're a part of it? If there is some larger, cohesive plan, it would be impossible for my purpose to be excluded - and that something Greater would know all about it, and know exactly what was needed to have it take place. My purpose would be It's purpose. And if there was a purpose I needed to know about - wouldn't the something Greater have me know it? Would the something Greater hide It's purpose (which is also mine) from a part (me) of It's own plan? Since there is a supposed planner to this Plan - why not trust It, Mr Wolfe asks. Why not trust or assume that whatever everyone is doing - including me - must be in harmony with the plan? He suggests that if we don't think it's "grand" enough a purpose - which is so often the story I tell myself - to then consider how "vitally important" it is in relationship to the entire plan.

I like this. It resonates with what I've already come to see: that there is nothing in this moment that could be other than it is - in this moment. My purpose is lived out of the moment - by moment by moment by moment; it's a very simple thing. And in these so-called moments, everything in the Universe has a relationship to me, and without who I am and what I'm doing in the moment - all else couldn't be what all else is...in the moment. Which is, of course, all there ever is.

This is all coming from a place of duality which the book isn't about - but it certainly gets the mind to looking at things from another perspective. And since my mind currently isn't operating from an enlightened point of view (because really, no "mind" can), duality's what I'm working with. And to feel less pressure about discovering some exceptional "purpose" for myself - let's just say it helps me breathe easier.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff,

    My name is Natalie, and I do some work for Robert Wolfe. We would like to thank you for your post about Living Nonduality. If you are interested in reading more from Robert, I often post blog entries from him on his blog site, which are in addition to what is in the book. This is his blog address: http://www.livingnonduality.org/self-a-blog.htm. Many thanks, Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalie! I found Mr. Wolfe's book by chance and I've just really been impressed with it. I'm still reading it, taking it in. Thank you for the blog address!

    ReplyDelete