Tuesday, June 28, 2011

seven days of silence

In the May 17th newsletter of Rob Brezsny's Free Will Astrology, the homework assignment he proposed was this: "Talk about the things you'd do if you lived for a week without consuming any Internet, TV, videos, radio, films, newspapers, or magazines." I knew immediately what I'd do. Something I always tell myself I'm going to do, that I want to do, that I'd so benefit from - and yet I repeatedly push it off to some vague future - despite the feeling of relief I get from just the thought of all that disconnection from the outside world. True, I keep further from the world than others do, but the voices and images from the little screens I take time to look at and fall asleep in front of are more than plenty distracting, and more than enough to remind me that things are "out there." And so enough of that! It's time to unplug.

Without all the noise - what will I do? How will I spend the hours? With a vow of Silence. I'm going to sit with my mind. I'm going to sit with Life. I'm going to walk. I'm going to meditate. I'm going to write. And I'm going to inquire - using The Work of Byron Katie. It's going to be a dream-defining, Vippassana retreat and nine day School for The Work rolled in to one, Jeff Patterson style. I'm going to take the time to think about my life and where I want it to go. I'm going to define the kind of life I want to lead. The kind of life that I'll look back on and be proud and grateful and astonished to have lived. And once I have that crystallized, I'm going to take every single concept in my mind that would keep me from taking steps towards living that life and I'm going to question them one by one, to find out what is ultimately True.

I turn off the phone, television, laptop.

I shut my mouth and admit that I don't know what's best.

I-AM, I'm listening. Let's do this.

3 comments:

  1. I will. I am. I hear. I'm here. See you in seven? and when we're done, I'll tell mine if you'll tell me yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice! have fun and we'll see you in a week.

    ReplyDelete