Friday, March 25, 2011

for goodness' sake

One of my favorite bloggers asked her readers today, "Why do you blog?" That's a question I've asked myself before and something I've thought of blogging about from time to time, so I thought I'd go ahead and do that today.

The answer in it's purest form is: because it's fun for me. Because it's just what I do. Words and I have been collaborative playmates since I was a child. I've been writing something or other all my life: little stories for school or poetry and journaling in my teens. I kept a journal from 16 to 25, and then a few years later started blogging on Myspace, sending letters and postcards to loved ones all the while. Partnering with words, using them to channel inner visions and thought-forms, arranging them in certain sequences that sound and express for me in ways I find pleasing - it's just something I'm compelled to do.

It's a magical thing, the way one is able to conjure "imaginary" worlds and express intangible feelings using this strange medium of arbitrary markings whose meanings, over thousands of years, have come to be agreed upon - it's very shocking when you look at it. These little symbols that have such power - and whom so humbly serve. Yeah, there's no question that language has its limits. But for what they are and for what they're capable of, they're amazing!

So why employ my word-love in the form of a blog? I guess it's just a cool place for me to come and re-live the moments I've known - for the fun of it, for the fact that I treasure many of the stories I tell and live by.  I could just as easily write in a journal. But there's also a sense of accountability that comes with putting my thoughts and intentions out there. Putting them in to words brings them more in to the physical, increasing the chances of their manifestation in my thoughts and behaviors. It's also another avenue for me to practice honesty. And it's a place for me to redefine what matters to me, to reaffirm for me the wisdom I was blessed with in the letting go of certain things, and the reveling in the never-ending impulse to move onward. 

By sharing my Heart with the world in this format, I'm drawn to others that are doing the same thing. Friends have appeared that I didn't even know were out there. And while this blog deal is ultimately for me, that others have come to read what I have to say, and in some cases maybe gotten something from it - and that I've received from them, is the sweetest of icing on the cake.

It's where I explore and make friends with the Good. The innumerable facets of joy and disquiet that It contains. 

As far as I'm concerned, it's just another holy place. 
As are all others. Why do I blog? For Goodness' sake.






1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you do share those words with us. This is very beautifully written.

    I agree that it is sometimes a good idea to revisit why we do this. I am in that space right now.

    ReplyDelete