Thursday, March 31, 2011

book meme


I've been tagged for a book meme by Suzanne, the author of Autism Mom Rising. I don't usually read more than one book at a time, so these include the one I'm reading now as well as those I have recently read and plan to very soon.

Here are the rules:

1. Take a picture of the books you are reading currently and add them to your post.

2. Describe the books and if you are enjoying them.

3. For every book you are reading, you have to tag one person.

4. Leave the person a comment letting them know you tagged them.

Here are the rules I'll obey:  =)

1. Take a picture of the books you are reading currently and add them to your post.

2. Describe the books and if you are enjoying them.


The first one, which I'm currently reading, is called  Journey to Self-Realization by Paramahansa Yogananda, author of Autobiography of a Yogi. Basically, it's a collection of talks he gave throughout the first half of the 20th century. From the outside of the cover: "In this new anthology...Yogananda offers enlightening counsel to  all who are seeking to better understand themselves and their true purpose in life. To the myriad complexities of human experience he brings a broad and universal perspective, opening before us a far-seeing vision of who we are and where we are going. For every question or crossroads on the path, he provides answers and insights to help us choose rightly." It's full of excellent reminders - I'm diggin' it.

This second book is one I've actually read a few times and have written about my experiences with before. Spinal Breathing Pranayama: Journey to Inner Space is but one book in the series of Advanced Yoga Practices by Yogani. All of these guides to different yoga practices are powerful and do bring results that even I, as a beginner, can personally attest to. All of Yogani's materials are clear and easy to understand. I'm a big fan. Now that I've recommitted to my yoga practice, I've been doing the deep meditation for a couple of months now, and am just about ready to add spinal breathing to my daily routine again - so I'll be consulting it again soon. I consider the AYP writings to be the most valuable books I own.    

The next book is called Skinny Thinking and is written by Laura Katleman-Prue. I am continuously returning to this one. I've had a tumultuous relationship with food all of my life, and the thought patterns I hold with regards to food are not the healthiest - and this is the best book I've ever read on approaching, and healing, these crippling, dysfunctional thoughts . 

Since my readings with Renu, I've been fascinated with Hindu astrology and have been wanting to learn more. Beneath a Vedic Sky by William R. Levacy is a good introductory book that gives one a taste of the subject - and I'd recommend it to anyone that is interested in finding out more. It's such a complicated topic to try and pin down, but I think Mr. Levacy does a great job of covering what he can in this particular format. His knowledge of the subject is apparent and as soon as I'm able, I'm going to schedule a reading with him.
 

Let's just face it: I'm clueless about fashion and have absolutely no idea how to begin dressing like an adult. And this last book is filled with tons of tips and information that help guys just like me make sense of all this crap. It does its job well.     

2 comments:

  1. What a great list Jeff! I love the diversity of it with the men's fashion book! That anchors the whole list into the every day world, so to speak. Yogananda was one of the first spiritual resources I read as a young adult.

    I'm letting everyone know about Dr. Emoto's mass water intention on the water at the power plant in Japan - 37,000 participating so far and counting. It starts today and runs through April 10th. He has the directions on his site:
    http://emotopeaceproject.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Yogananda's writings are great. I was reading his Autobiography for the second time a couple of weeks ago - and it's just inspiring. I really like the one I'm reading now.

    Thank you for sharing this mass water prayer! I'm definitely in!

    ReplyDelete