Monday, February 14, 2011

iclw, revisited

Back in October, I participated for the first time in the comment-leaving festival known as International Comment Leaving Week (ICLW) - which I wrote about here. I gave it another shot during January's round, and this time found it much more fun, so I thought I'd go ahead and share it.

Redefining for myself the intention behind my comments left, as well as the definition of what makes a "good" one, really made all the difference in how my experience of the week turned out.

I chilled out about my own stupid comments, and approached each blog that I read as someone's precious life experience, knowing that it might possibly be the most important message I ever receive; knowing that just because it's something I wouldn't choose to identify with or am not able to understand doesn't make it any less valuable to my soul. I took in their stories and their art and their humor, and I appreciated every single word.

Making it more about the author than the commenter (me), really allowed me to receive them.

And there are so many cool people out there to receive.

2 comments:

  1. How does that Zig Ziglar quote go? "You will get all you want in life if you help enough other people get what they want."

    When you look at this exercise/playful activity as fun and through the blogger's eyes, that's whatyou're doing--helping them.

    Which in turn, as you've discovered, helps you. Tremendously.

    You're so smart :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto. on all counts. I have so little in common with most of the specific journey these people are on, but I'm doing it again because it was strangely transformational.
    I think I'm compassionate, then I become exposed to a whole other level of other people's lives and it makes me look deeper into my own.

    ReplyDelete