Thursday, November 25, 2010

another day of blessings to the brim

Thanksgiving is such a lovely holiday. Actually, I think the spirit behind most holidays is pretty special. New Year's, Independence Day, Valentine's Day, birthdays. They remind us to take time and celebrate very important things. In this case, Thanksgiving, all of the blessings we have in our lives. But truly, each day is THE day for us to be celebrating our freedom or the existence of people we treasure, honoring our beloved, giving thanks, or allowing for a new beginning. Yes, it's so easy to get caught up in life's minutiae, the frustrations of everyday life.  But for me,  I've noticed that if I really want a richness to my days, it takes an active contemplation of all the good things - and even the bad, kept in the proper perspective, for it all leads us to Truth. Of course it's easier some days more than others, but I think it makes a big difference.

My Thanksgiving was really nice! I hid in my room and the connecting bathroom while family gathered in the other parts of the house. Oh, but I always love knowing that they're there. I love knowing that they'd laugh and eat and have a good time. And I was content to keep invisible. I corresponded with one of my oldest and best friends from back in the day. I watched a documentary about Mother Teresa, whom I knew almost nothing about - what an awesome lady! And I also watched an amazing documentary about the life of the Buddha. In addition, I worked on a module in my medical coding course, as well as taking my Portuguese lesson (which is something new I've begun that I'll be posting about later).

A really great day.

I give thanks to you, Source/God/Allah, for the innumerable blessings (whether we acknowledge them or not) that you shower upon us every moment of every day.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you had such a great day! That Mother Teresa was pretty incredible. Looking forward to hearing about your Portuguese lessons-- I had a Portuguese tutor when I first started working and he taught me really bizarre phrases ("Oh no! I am allergic to peppers" stands out... I am not allergic to peppers). Hope you're having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a pleasant Thanksgiving. I'm behind on reading from ICWL. My blog will be on haitus for a bit because my father died today but I will read my friend's blogs as I am able over the next few weeks. Didn't want you guys to think I disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your mindful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Andrea - and thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete