Monday, October 18, 2010

it gets better

I was listening to Cheryl Richardson's show this afternoon on Hay House Radio, and she mentioned a video she'd come upon last night that had really moved her. She said, and I adamantly agree, that it's a message all people should hear - adults and children, both. Especially the children, I think.

Fort Worth councilman Joel Burns speaks to the bullying and name-calling that young people who are gay, or simply perceived as different, often endure. And the seeming rise in gay youth committing suicide as of late is troubling and so insanely unnecessary. It's so sad that children - or anyone, for that matter - would reach the point where they feel so alone or broken. And as a gay man who was once a suicidal gay and bullied child, I know that pain. I was brought to tears listening to this man speak, because it's a message that I could have used back then.

I pray that this message is found by those children who need it now.

6 comments:

  1. There does seem to be a lot more attention paid to the whole issue lately, even the media, which is good. People need to understand the harm they do to others in bullying. In my community it is the children with Aspergers Syndrome that are so tormented. The heart breaks for them, or anyone in a similar position. Thanks for sharing this, and your story. You are very brave. I admire you greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've cried my way through all of the "It gets better" videos. What a great project to send a hopeful message to teens in pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jeff! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier-- I truly appreciate it. I first heard the audio of Councilman Burns on NPR on my way home from work earlier this week. The clip was really short, but so compelling. I rushed home to see the video in its entirety. I then went on to watch Secretary Clinton's video on the same topic. Having lost a gay relative to suicide, I can imagine just how much these teens are missed and mourned. At the same time, my heart is filled with hope because people like you live courageously, setting an example for others. Sorry for rambling (yikes!). Hope you have a peaceful and lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elizabeth! Thanks not only for stopping by, but for your kind comment. I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. Maybe these deaths will have their silver linings and the schools and parents will change what they allow to be tolerated. I hope you have a great weekend too! And I'm serious: I am so gonna be back to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched this video last week and was so proud. Proud that there are so many people across the world spreading the message that suicide is not the way out. That life gets better. I was so very proud that this wonderful man came out and shared his story with the world. I so pray that by the time my children are in high school, something has changed.

    ReplyDelete