Friday, July 30, 2010

housesitting

With my grandmother and aunt out of town this week for my grandmother's 63rd high school reunion, I've been left behind to mind the home front. Left behind to tend the plants, the pets, and the house isn't a new role for me, but it is one that I look forward to. The two are each other's traveling companions. They've gone to Hawaii, repeatedly, up to Maine, and on a cruise along the Rhine, to name a few things. It really is cool that they've been able to see what they've seen and that they've been able to see them together. Sometimes I wish that I could go - and sometimes I do go - but more often than not, I'm just not able. I gotta say though, that when I'm not, my disappointment doesn't last too long.

I adore my Grams. I love my aunt. I enjoy when they're around - but maybe equally as much, I love my time alone. I inhabit this space as if I own it. There's a different sort of energy present when you're by yourself, on your own - and I like it. It's not that I feel restricted exactly, or experience lack of freedom when they're here, but I don't have an overwhelming sense of autonomy either.

They'll be back in no time, so I'm just going to enjoy this alternate reality while I've got it - hopefully, they're enjoying theirs. I'll breathe in this sense of independence, do a few more naked cartwheels, and I'll be good to go.

I'll be ready to welcome them back when I see the car pull up, and be genuinely glad to have them home.

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about being alone vs. being with others. For the four months of summer, I live with my parents, and I do really enjoy being with them, but I also really look forward to returning to university in the fall and living alone again. There are certain distractions to living with others, however enjoyable it is. When I am alone, I am more able to just sit and think, read, or write for longer periods. I can talk to myself or stand on my head if I like, and I'm not disturbing anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, exactly!

    There really are nice things about both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to intrude here again, but I'd just like to let you know that I've left you an award over at my blog (http://treeshaveears.blogspot.com/2010/08/blog-with-substance.html), which you can accept or ignore as you please. :)

    ReplyDelete