Tuesday, January 5, 2010

living dangerously

I found this quote and I think it sums up nicely the paradigm in which I'd like to live my life:

"Live dangerously and you live right." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

To me, living dangerously means consistently choosing to move beyond the safety of your comfort zone. It is flinging yourself outside your self-imposed, well-practiced limitations. It is no longer settling for what you've come to know and accept as ordinary, and daring to reach for the extraordinary - whatever extraordinary may mean to you. It is experiencing life in a new, broader way.

If I am to be of value to the world, the promise I'd like to provide for others needs to come from more than just theories and wonderful ideas. I need to be a living, breathing example of that Love. I need to realize it for myself and let the actual living of my life be the blessing offered. Then the words that I offer, if any are needed, will come from a place of knowing rather than of belief (no matter how fervently I may believe them).

Occasionally, it happens that I'll speak of these things to loved ones. I speak to them of their immense power. I'll encourage them to stay loyal to their inner compass, but if I'm not exercising my own inner power, then who am I to say a word? Who could believe such a person? How could anything I say be seen as genuine or beneficial? I've been treading too near hypocrisy for my taste and it doesn't suit me.

I've got to channel this energy and put it to use. Changes must be made and I know they won't be easy. But that's why the word "dangerous" is used, I think. As you start moving in to unfamiliar territory and you don't know what the hell you're doing, it feels obscenely uncomfortable, and even wrong. And with the baby steps I've only started to make, I know it's only going to get worse.

Each aspect of my life - both physical and non - I've begun to envision as I'd like them to be. I have felt those intended feelings from my crafted version of things, and chosen to feel them right here and now. These changed conditions I'm after are specific enough to inspire me forward, yet vague enough to prevent me from scrambling around clueless how to proceed.

In every moment, each choice I make, I'll ask myself if what I'm about to choose (whether in thought, word, or deed) will bring me closer to or further away from living as the person I want to be.

I'm both excited and afraid - but it's time to put my money where my mouth is.


No comments:

Post a Comment