Friday, October 16, 2009

baldy mcgee

I decided that today would be the day I'd shave my head. It's been thinning and receding for years now, and I've been imagining myself doing it for some time. I got some bandannas and a new cap just in case I wasn't digging my new bald head, vain bugger that I am. I discovered that I needn't have gone to the trouble, though, because I actually like it. I feel a sense of...resolution now that's it gone. I actually went to a hair transplant surgery place not too long ago for a free consultation to see how much it would cost and what was involved, it bothered me that much. It's such a vain and superficial thing; it bothered me that a thing like that would bother me.

When I was younger, I used to dye my hair all the time, unsatisfied with my unique, reddish hair. It's a funny idea that now the Gods would take my hair away altogether. I'm cool, though. I'm actually happy with how it looks. This is just another example of me not getting my way and then finding out that I don't know better after all.

On my way to the barber shop, I walked past a house with the coolest front yard. There are all kinds of plants and flowers; it's almost like a miniature jungle, the density of it. I thought I saw a bench, but I walked by too quickly to be sure. But on the way back, I told myself that if there were a bench, I was going to knock on their front door and ask for permission to sit on it and admire their garden for a while. As it turns out, it's a very small bench that I wouldn't have fit on. There was also a wooden swing, but it looked so raggedy that I was afraid I might break it. So, instead of going to a stranger's doorstep and asking awkwardly to sit in their yard, I just walked past and lingered a little.

Next time I go to the barber shop, though, I just might bring a folding chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment