Tuesday, August 4, 2009

so very okay

I live in my own universe.
I believe that we all do.

The beliefs we hold, our attitudes, and expectations.
These are no small things; they literally determine how we experience the world.
I believe our perceptions are everything.

If you look for things to be grateful for, you find them.
If you look for goodness in situations and people, you find it.
Whether you look for scarcity or abundance, you’ll find them.

Most of the time, I love my life experience.
And when I don’t, at least I know that it’s my doing, and not some outside force.

No person and no situation can cause me to suffer.
Only my thoughts (the believing of them) have that power.

What a blessing!
What a relief!
And what a responsibility.
It means that no one can save me but me.
But the only thing to be saved from are my unexplored/unchallenged opinions and beliefs.

We all believe what we believe and have our reasons.
We have lived what we have lived and we have drawn our conclusions.
We filter things through our thoughts in a way that makes sense to us.
There will always be differences – striking ones.
This is so very okay! None of it is personal.

I see that my freedom is to be found in allowing others their universe and staying busy tending my own.
This leaves me no enemies, no one to blame, no one to be afraid of!
If I allow it to be so, all I have are friends.
No one can be an enemy unless I allow them to be.
Do I dare make that choice?

Even if the cruelest insults are hurled at me, they’re only a person’s opinion.
They are only expressing what they feel is true.
Does that mean I sit there and take verbal abuse?
No, of course not. But it doesn’t mean I have to make them wrong or hate them, either.
Who am I to challenge a person’s belief system?
Who am I to question their universe? – or seek to change it?

If a person says something to me and it hurts my feelings, it only hurts my feelings because it’s something that I secretly believe about myself and have tried to hide.

For example, if someone were to say to me, “Dude, you are such a directionless loser.” If someone said that to me, it would probably sting some because a small part of me believes that. But if someone were to say to me, “You know what? You have the most beautiful blue eyes,” or “You are such a sloppy, disorganized person.” – it would be a different story. Both of those are not true for me (being a brown-eyed, neat-freak and all) – so hearing a person telling me these things would be strange and even amusing. Instead of attacking them in my mind, I might just wonder, “How weird and interesting that they would think that.” I’d not give it another thought because it wouldn’t even register as trouble – just another’s random point of view. Just one person’s statement of what they think is so. The ones that hurt like daggers are the ones we’ve already dug in to our own hearts. It’s our own beliefs that cause the pain. We are the very enemies that we think we see in others.

I like the quote by Neale Donald Walsch:“No one is ever wrong given their model of the world.”(Or something to that effect.)

Our models don’t have to match.
Our opposing views don’t have to bring conflict.
I don’t think human agreement and sameness have anything to do with Love, in the ultimate sense, anyway.

I’m pretty sure that Love can handle a few different points of view.
In fact, I’d say Love does more than just handle it or tolerate.
I’d say It revels in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment